An anti-war platform for the 2021 federal election from the Canada-Wide Peace and Justice Network
It’s time to make Canadian militarism an election issue. Click on each of the four sections below to learn more about our demands.
- Cancel Canada’s planned purchase of 88 new fighter jets. #NoNewFighterJets
- Scrap plans to purchase Canada’s first unmanned armed drones
- Reverse the 73% increase in military spending promised in Canada’s 2017 defence policy Strong, Secure, Engaged and redirect funds towards true security needs including housing, education, healthcare, clean water and climate resilience.
- Stop arming Saudi Arabia and the UAE and thereby fueling the war in Yemen. #CanadaStopArmingSaudi
- Suspend all arms sales to Israel until illegal occupations and violence against Palestinians ends
- Suspend all military exports and police training initiatives with Colombia
- Join 97 countries around the world in signing the United Nations Nuclear Ban Treaty
- Update Canadian arms exports regulations, bring Canada into compliance with the Arms Trade Treaty
- Cancel the drone contract with Israeli weapons company Elbit Systems
- Immediately cease all programs providing military-grade equipment and training to police
- Expedite the clean up of all former Canadian military bases, concretize plans to return land to Indigenous communities
- End all domestic military surveillance
- Put a moratorium on all military propaganda initiatives until an independent and impartial investigation is carried out into their legality
- Fully implement the 94 Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the Calls to Justice in the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Inquiry report, and ensure that the laws of Canada are consistent with the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Commit to reparations for Canada’s role in the war in Afghanistan, with immediate support for civilians in Afghanistan and immediate and continuing welcome for Afghan refugees.
- Full and permanent immigration status for all migrants and refugees in Canada. #StatusForAll
- End aggressive “New Cold War” posturing with China and Russia
- Release Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, detained under an illegal extradition request from President Trump
- Withdraw troops immediately from Ukraine, Latvia, and Iraq
- End generalized economic sanctions including in Venezuela, Nicaragua, Iran, Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, and North Korea
- Begin a formal inquiry into the possibility of withdrawing from NATO and NORAD
Election platforms, toolkits and resources from our members
Members of the Canada-Wide Peace and Justice Network have put out the following election resources.